Monday, November 28, 2011

Founders and feathers! This is delicious!

Every Thanksgiving I make the pumpkin pie. My grandma has been trying to teach me how to make pie crust for a number of years but I still have not been able to master it. She can just feel when it is right! How does she do that?! On a few occasions she has tried to teach me, more often than not a some dough ended up down the disposal. So our solution is that she brings the pie crusts with her and I make the filling. It has been working out and our dessert is always a delicious team effort!

Over the years I have used multiple recipes and I started to combine them. Next year I will probably go back to a different method. But no matter what recipe you follow or whether you use heavy cream, half and half, whole milk or (cringe)…evaporated milk… (please don’t use evaporated milk), follow these additional directions and your pie will go from “great pie” to “holy founders and feathers! This is delicious!”

These are my two tips for a fabulous pumpkin pie.

1.) Spice it up!
I use a recipe from a cookbook, but I have written in the spices to use. I took them from my friend Tracy’s recipe.

From The Best Recipe cookbook (plus my notes)
Just replace your recipes spice directions with these!
For one 9” pie:
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp cardamom
¼ tsp lemon zest
½ tsp salt

2.) Process it!
Want really smooth pumpkin pie?! Toss your complete filling into the food processor. It will make it extra smooth and take out any left over "can taste" or lumps from the pumpkin filling. Then proceed to pour the processed filling into your blind-baked shell. Bake and Bon appétit! 





I know Thanksgiving already happened and that most of you aren't going to be making pumpkin pie. Just remember it for next year!

2 comments:

  1. that is too funny---we have different priorities. I don't have a problem using evaporated milk--however, I would NEVER used canned pumpkin! I roast the pumpkin and scoop it out of the skin.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you all! Your comments regularly make my day.

Thanks for stopping by!